Grounding is very wide topic and different people use this term in different ways.
For me it means being in here and now and fully in body ( not in some dream or galaxy or past or future)
Grounding strongly relate to distribution and flow of electrons around body and electromagnetic force
( without going deeper into particle physics or quantum physics, below is very nice overview I found to be very helpful)
Different ways to Ground yourself
Grounding is one of the basic abilities that everyone meditating should learn. It’s an ability to control energies that flow through you, and an ability that allows you to remain present here and now, without wondering away with your thoughts, or your inner energies. There are two types of grounding: one is active, and another one is passive. Learning both types should be one of the first things on your “wanna be psychic TODO list”.
An active method of grounding focuses on doing conscious, or semi-conscious energy work. Conscious energy work occurs when you’re clearly conscious of the energies you manipulate. For example, if you can sense or see energies, you can manipulate them consciously. In case of semi-conscious energy work, you think to manipulate the energy, but if you can’t sense or see it, then you cannot be 100% sure if the energies do what you want. So, you can only trust your thoughts. Active form of grounding is simple : you release energies from your body, energies that aren’t needed anymore. You can do this just by intending to do so. Energy follow thoughts, so if you’re not skilled energy worker, just think about releasing energies
Passive grounding is about making sure your mind is grounded enough in general. Passive grounding can be described as building a dam that will hold the water even if you will go sleep. Through various activities and habits, you add more and more blocks to your mind dam.
Releasing Energy To Any Grounded Object : Basics
A grounded object is any object that is, one way or another, connected to ground, that big brown thing below. Ground is grounded; building floor and walls are grounded; most pipes are grounded, as well. In order to release the energies into the grounded object:
Visualize roots growing from your feet into the ground, and then visualize as the unwanted energy move through the roots, down to the ground.
Or skip the roots part, and just visualize energy being released through your feet, down into the ground.
This simple energy work technique should be enough to ground yourself properly.
Hugging A Tree
Trees are grounded, as well. Many schools of meditation or spiritual work teach this very simple grounding technique. All you have to do is to hug a tree, and intend to release the unwanted energies. The tree will do the rest. Often, this method is mixed with charging yourself with positive energies, as trees do work as big energy antennas. But for now, just remember, if you have access to a tree, go and give it a hug!
More Tips For Active Grounding
Beside very obvious methods of grounding that I’ve described above, you should also remember about few additional things.
Forming No Attachments
The primary step in building the dam in your mind is to learn not to form any attachments. When you care about someone, or when you hate someone; when you focus on something, or when something irritates you; all of this forms attachments, like energetic links, through which energy flows. When you’re angry about something, you form an attachment, through which you send energies towards someone or something you’re angry about. This way, you lose energy.
The same thing happens when you worry or when you care about something or someone. Generally, any emotional behavior creates a form of energetic interaction, that results in lack of grounding. The less attachments you have, the more grounded you are. Now, you may dig into advanced Buddhist practice and attach to nothing. But as a person living in the Western world, you should just get rid of negative attachments, and don’t worry about positive attachments.
Worry not – do not worry about things that may happen, do not worry about people, do not worry about your future, school, work, whatever. Just relax :).
Angry not – stay calm and relax, as anger leads to the Dark Side. Also, anger is a form of psychic attack (when “targeted” at people) and it generates a lot of negative energies that may influence both you, and people around you.
Hate not - hatred is a strong, negative emotion, and just like anger, it’s a psychic attack that generates nasty energies.
Learn to forgive yourself and others, and focus on positive emotions always. Bad things happen all the time, but the true power is to remain calm and happy in the world of darkness. The less things you’re angry about, and the less things you worry about, the more grounded you are.
A Grounding Hobby
Another method of passive grounding is simple – you just need a hobby. Some people play computer games; others play golf; other cook, and so on. This is very important especially if you’re a psychic or spiritual worker. When you work with psychic energies, spiritual things and entities, you may easily lose your contact with real world. Trust me, this is possible. In a simple way, you may go crazy, or at least, you may perceive everything from a spiritual perspective, while you should perceive many things from very earthly perspective.
In order to protect yourself against losing your mind, you need a very grounding hobby, something that allows you to free yourself from spiritual thoughts. Or, if you’re not spiritual worker, but, for example, a businessman, you may wish to play computer games or become interested in spiritual stuff, just to stop thinking about doing business. This can be really, really helpful.
More ways to Ground yourself
1. Learn the technique of grounding. Take a meditation class with a grounded instructor, one who is able to show you how to create your own neutral grounding for yourself. Grounding is a specific tool, so ask first if you are not sure about the techniques being taught. Use your own intuition on this one too. A grounded meditation will help you to get into your body more. This is the point of grounding.
2. Practice meditation with grounding, daily. Do it before getting your day going, and try it again before retiring for the evening. A regular grounded meditation practice can actually help you to sleep better at night, which is crucial to your healing. Your body needs this time to rejuvenate, as does your spirit.
3. Get your body moving. Breathe, stretch, walk, jog, jump rope, walk a dog, skip, roller blade, bike, hike, garden, do yoga, go to the gym, run, swim, dance… but get up and do something. Your body needs to move and stretch. Exercise helps you ground.
4. Watch what you eat. Pay attention to what’s actually in your food, and pay close attention to how it affects your body. If your diet consists mainly of empty calories, sugar, caffeine, and fat, you will have a difficult time grounding yourself or feeling well. On the other hand, grounding yourself consciously can help you to become aware of what your body actually wants you to feed it. When you begin to listen to your body, you begin to heal yourself.
5. Get out in nature. Everything you have, including your body, came from the earth. Turn off the TV, step away from the computer, get out and remember that there is an earth and that you are part of it. Just being in nature can be a healing and grounding experience. What kind of nature do you love and long for: forest, mountain, desert, ocean? Go there without any agenda. Just be.
6. Have a good attitude. If you find yourself surrounded by negativity, whether your own or that of others, step away from it. Separate out from the negativity, and remember it’s not you. Find gratitude, joy, happiness. Notice what it is you have created for yourself, notice the many things you have already, and let go of that bad attitude.
7. Live from your truth. Remember, your truth is not necessarily anyone else’s. You may have forgotten what is truly yours because others demand you live by their truth. On some level, you already know your own truth. Grounding can help you find more of it, and you can also ground into your truth.
8. Find fulfillment in your life. This goes along with living in your truth. If you are feeling fulfilled, your life will never be boring. Remember the phrase, “what you want, wants you”. It’s never too late to learn a new skill, take the class, write the book, learn the dance, paint the painting. If you are really bored and lost, volunteer. Help others in some way, and you will gain so much more.
9. Stop blaming others for your problems. This is a game you cannot win. Perhaps someone has done something nasty to you, but if you allow that to stop you from moving on and creating your own life, that is your choice alone. Forgive, let go, free yourself and move on. You’ll be amazed at how much energy this gives you.
10. Create some happy relationships for yourself. Find others of like mind who you can talk to about what really interests you. Join a group, take a class, learn something new, step off the beaten path and explore your world. There are loads of interesting and wonderful people out there. Having fulfilling relationships is validating. This makes it easier to feel real, alive, happy, and grounded in your own life.
Written by: Rick Park, Spooks Investigations